Ouch, that burns! And it is natural to think that this is caused by too much stomach acid – and in fact the medical doctors will tell you that. However, generally the opposite is the truth. Low stomach acid causes the stomach to fill with an excess of gastrin (secreted by the stomach wall prior to stomach acid) and to have to churn harder to process the food in it before release to the small intestine, and this action is what ultimately causes a little of the gastrin along with some stomach acids to get squeezed up into or even past the esophagus. Even weak stomach acid burns!
Dr. Glidden explains this very well, here.
You can test yourself at home to get a pretty good idea whether you have low stomach acid. Do the following three days in a row, when you first get up before you have eaten anything, to get a base line:
- Mix 1/4 tsp baking soda in 6 oz of water and drink it.
- Time how long it takes before you burp, up to 5 minutes.
- You should burp before three minutes.
This test is described more fully here, along with several others.
Low stomach acid? So your solution is to increase your body’s ability to produce stomach acid. And to do that you need salt and calcium, says Glidden.
I am going to go out on a limb here and recommend folks also consider drinking Kangen water. But, you might say, Kangen water is (among other important things) alkaline, so won’t it reduce stomach acid even further? Well, it is not recommended to drink it with your meal, but other than that, according to Dr. Ben Johnson below, drinking Kangen water at other times will not cause low stomach acid. He says to wait an hour or an hour and a half after your meal to resume drinking your Kangen water.
Another doctor, Dr. David Carpenter, in his book, “Kangen Water – Change your Water, Change your Life,” explains how your stomach works. It is not like in T.V. ads where the stomach is half full of acid just waiting for you to drop something in it. He says that your stomach is empty most of the time. When you eat, the change in pH and the stretching of the stomach stimulates cells in the stomach lining to secrete hydrochloric acid (HCl) until the pH of the food is suitable for it to be passed on for digestion.
But how does your body make stomach acid? If you drink Kangen water, which has a pH of 9.5 it seems like over time your body would become more and more alkaline until there are no acidic materials in it from which to make an acid! Nope. That’s not how it works. Dr. Carpenter says that your body makes its stomach acid (HCl) and sodium bicarbonate from water, salt, and carbon dioxide. So as long as you eat salt (low salt diets are ill-advised), breathe, and drink water you should be fine. In fact, Keith Flint, a computer scientist who has used and studied Kangen water for over ten years, recommends it for people who are suffering from acid reflux.
Here are some other things (in addition to drinking the water – which I regard as the most important of any of them) that may help normalize the digestion:
- Take Betaine HCl Pepsin Gentian Root Extract, by ViTAL Nutrients;
- Eat foods easy to digest and that are restorative to the digestion;
- Chicken broth soups made from free range or organic chicken;b) Fermented foods (for digestion but also restores the immune system and more);b) i. Bubba’s Pickles (they are not pasteurized, and so are a live fermented product);
- Bubba’s Sauerkraut (or homemade);
- EM-1 by TeraGanix (This is a garden product that people take internally. It can be pre-started in molasses and water for a day);
- Kombucha tea;
- Yogurt or Kefir with live culture (the label should say), from grass fed cows, and unsweetened, and not homogenized; and/or take these:
- Fresh or stabilized Aloe Vera to heal the inflamed linings in the gut (many Aloe Vera products are worthless because the juice contains enzymes that degrade it after harvesting), and don’t eat wheat or any GMO grains!
- Ambrotose (expensive but exceptional – not just aloe; all 8 sugars – restores the immune system), or
- Eight Sugars recipes, (kombu, shiitake, etc.) and/or
- Fresh gel from your own aloe plant, or Freeze Dried Aloe Vera.3. Eat sea salt and iodine … take sea salt before biomat sessions. I think this will produce free chloride ions that can be used to produce stomach acid, and it provides a broad range of minerals. No refined, bleached, table salt.
- Cleanse More is a superior herbal product that delivers magnesium that I think should be part of a regime added to the above for anyone suffering from chronic constipation.
When provided the nutrition it needs, your body can work miracles.
Water is a superfood!