Here is a start at a list of supplies I would use to deal with illness during a time of social disruption:
Baking Soda – Many uses. Cooking, deoderant, toothpaste, etc.
Cayenne Pepper – Put it in wounds. Consume it. Cayenne pepper is possibly the most powerful herbal known. It can change your life. It can save your life.
Hydrogen Peroxide – Kills germs. Combine it (in your mouth) with baking soda for toothpaste. Make a toothpaste of coconut oil, baking soda, and turmeric and combine it (in your mouth) with that. Many other uses.
Garlic – There is a reason it is called Russian Penicillin.
Iodine – This is essential to health, so you will get sick without it.
Onions and Potatoes! Someone commented on that page:
When I got sick my grandmother used to put sliced onions on my feet and sliced potatoes on my forehead. Believe it or not this stuff actually worked. The potatoes were especially good for alleviating severe fevers.
Salt – Natural, full-spectrum sea-salt is essential to health. Don’t expect it to provide iodine, though. Get your iodine separately.
Water – Access to clean water is obviously essential. What is not obvious is that in a SHTF scenario, access to clean water is by no means a given. You have to plan for it.
Also see the pages under my Eat Fat – Be Thin menu.
And here is a list from Survivopedia, from a more mainstream perspective, of ten categories of meds to stock:
- Cold and flu medication: For congestion, cough, the pain of sore throat and body aches).
- Allergy medications: Include sedating and non-sedating types of medication.
- Pain medications: Include over the counter and prescription pain medications.
- Breathing medications: This especially includes inhalers.
- Gastrointestinal medications: For heartburn, stomach distress, diarrhea and constipation.
- Skin medications: These include sunscreen and medications for various rashes and skin problems.
- Antibiotics: Include those that cover for the majority of infections you might encounter.
- Birth control pills: A disaster is no time for a pregnancy, especially if nuclear radiation is present.
- Psychotropic medications. This especially involves medication for sleep and anxiety.
- Children’s medications: If you have a baby or young child, you’ll want liquid medications specially designed for their needs.